Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mandatory Craft!

I've been wanting to make one of those FHE charts for a long time. That's why after I got this good idea to make mini likenesses of my family and move them across a board, I just couldn't stop myself. Though Leland would have much rather been doing anything else, last night he humored me and participated in what I had to call a "mandatory craft." He is such a good husband. As it turned out, I made all the dolls using materials found around the house, while Leland heated up the glue gun and set the mood with itunes. Lucy and Jack found little ways to help like throwing pieces of felt up into the air and attacking them. Here is a picture of the dolls:
I was going to make Leland's doll look like Steve Nash because Leland loves him, but we didn't have purple or orange fabric (he plays for the Suns) and Leland is not Steven Nash. Leland doesn't even play basketball for a professional team. Leland is a professional man, however, so I put his doll in a professional suit (you can see the sleeves poking out of the suit and there is a vent in the back of the coat). They don't have mouths or noses because I couldn't find anything around the house that would work well as mouths or noses. I still don't know how we will display the dolls, but I am proud of my work. It will be a very unique Family Home Evening chart. Oh, and there's Leland making eggs for breakfast as I photograph the dolls. Breakfast was nutritious and delicious. Leland is really cool... and handsome.

6 comments:

Robyn said...

Those are awesome! Now I wanna make some...we have one of those FHE charts with hooks to hang names on, but we don't have name-thingies for everyone. Maybe I'll make little people and hang them from the pegs!

A.J. and Ashley said...

What a brilliant idea! I wouldn't expect anything less from you Catherine!

CFaux said...

BLISS BLISS BLISS!! Super fantastic mandatory craft Catherine! Wow. That was so cool. The Jack doll especially looked like him because of the hair-do. I love the things that you guys do! More blogs please.

Annelise said...

Wow! What kind of things do you have just sitting around the house? Your house seems fun AND dangerous!
P.S. We had a great time last weekend! Thanks!

DeAnn said...

Annelise--I'm with you. I was impressed Catherine had stuff around the house to make voodoo dolls. I have a board too with nothing to hang on it yet but I couldn't make anything this cute.

Jensen Family said...

Hello Faux Fam! I love your idea...I need to see the board that you put them on so that I know exactly how to copy you!