All growing up I thought my family was strange. We never seemed to do anything that was normal except probably go to school. One thing I hated as I grew older was that we couldn't just go trick-or-treating. We had to make treats to take to people BEFORE we could beg for candy. I thought it was silly especially since we were making caramel apples for the elderly. Now that I am a mom, I understand. As Leland, Lucy (nope not Jack) and I made cookie batch after cookie batch and dipped pretzels into chocolate, it was hard not to get excited about giving the goodies away to friends and family for the holidays. What's even better is we really bonded putting all of the stuff together. I think making and giving treats away for Halloween was more about doing something nice for other people and bonding with tradition than it was about not just going house to house begging for candy. It's fun to make things for people. Whether or not they really enjoy it, if they put on a good show (like a lot of those old people) it's fun to see others on the receiving end. Plus, knowing people think about you makes you happy. Thanks Mother, for teaching me how to make giving a tradition!
Monday, December 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Wish I had met your mom. But then again, I feel like she is close just because I love you.
That's so sweet Catherine. A lot of understanding and forgiving of our mother's happens once we become mothers ourselves. I'm sorry that you never got to be a mom at the same time as yours. I know she is so pleased with you.
Yeah, you're family did things differently...in a lot of ways. But I think its great that your family had an unique identity because of those differences. Your Mom set the standard pretty high, and we've borrowed some of her traditions, as well...like caroling on Christmas Eve, even if the neighbors think its weird.
serious though..who looks that good after having a baby. I kept thinking when I saw her that man, having a baby actually makes me excited. Also cute neighbor gifts. AT what point did we get so old that we actually make neighbor gifts???
Post a Comment