Friday, June 5, 2009
An Invitation
With regards to the Month of War, I am going to doing some family history--starting with war veterans. Also, Leland and I are going to create and post a test that you are welcome to take at the end of this month to see how much you know about WW I, WW II, Vietnam etc. We will post the answers a few days after we release the test so you can check your own work. We hope at least some of you will want to celebrate the Month of War with us. Good luck!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Catherine, Your grandpa Noble served in World War II. He used to tell me the story of being at the Yalta (where they divvied up Europe) Conference with Pres.Roosevelt and rolling him around in his wheelchair on the deck in the evenings. Dad said that at one point Pres. Roosevelt asked him what he would do if he were president. When dad told the story, he would always tell me how glad he was that good men were willing to serve as president, and how grateful we should be that someone is willing to make the hard calls (that one in retrospect being awful, of course). I've seen a picture of the Yalta conference which included someone very tiny who could have been Dad. (Though Dad's military records do not include this service)
Dad told me that he did intelligence missions. When he left home he wasn't able to write, even his girlfriend. There was someone assigned to do it. So when he returned, he was no longer engaged to her. He met mom and got married. I was around 15 when he told me his ex had gotten in touch and he was wondering if he should meet her. I think he decided not to, but he had been pretty devasted that some military person had thrown the relationship away for him --- he thought that had gone too far.
He worked for Elliot Roosevelt. He said one day, Eleanor Roosevelt came to visit her son and he was sent to pick her up and couldn't find anything to take to pick her up (apparently didn't know who she was other than his commander's mom) and she commented on his dirty shoes and the dirty jeep, and he got in big trouble. Dad was a Marine.
Runs in my mind that Grandpa Bowen served in WWI, I'll rummage around and see if I can find anything.
Post a Comment