Thursday, July 16, 2009

Good Read: I Cried like a baby


I read Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy last night as I rocked my sick little Jack. Leland will tell you that I can become very emotional when I read a sad book or watch a sad movie. I think I cried more while reading this book than while reading all the other sad books I've ever read. I hope I don't ruin the surprise too much, but I cried when Tess--still very young--was violated by Alec (who was supposed to be a gentleman) and felt worthless; I cried when her baby, Sorrow, died and she thought he might go to hell because he had never been baptized (I always say in my mind, "oh this or that protagonist just needs the Gospel :); And tears poured out of my eye sockets when Angel aka Mr. Hypocrite aka her husband who was supposed to love her forever left her after she confided in him and she had to do a man's work just to survive. Poor Tess! Thanks Mr. Hardy, I have never loved a character so much. I won't spoil the ending, but I didn't entirely like it.

4 comments:

Ro Ro Riot said...

Yes. It's a REALLY good book, no? Want a more uplifting read from Thomas? My favorite of his is Far From the Madding Crowd.

Natascha said...

I loved that book when I read it. It is so good!

J. Faux said...

I also love this book. You should read Jude the Obscure, it's even more sad, but wonderful too.

Hannah Faux said...

isn't the part with the growing spot on the ceiling awesome?