Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Project A Day Keeps the Brain From Going Away...



...Or something like that. I have realized that Jack's nap time is valuable time to spend with Lucy learning something age-appropriate. Instead of napping and turning on a movie for Lucy, I've started Learning Time. I found this old book that I made in college of science experiments for young children and decided to do one a day with Lucy.
Today, we sort of skipped naps (Bethany was over and so we decided to go swimming during nap time) and so Jack did the experiment with us. It was very simple so it worked out well. I pulled out my maps and showed the kids where the oil spill was on the gulf and then talked about how spilled oil was dangerous for the ocean environment and hard to clean up. Then, the kids experimented with different tools that would separate vegetable oil from sand (collected from the sandbox on our morning walk). We discovered that nothing really worked that well. Moral of he story: don't spill oil in the ocean.


Bethany made a really cool mud pie with hers



3 comments:

Ro Ro Riot said...

Oh my gosh, you're my hero. I like the way you are.

Anonymous said...

You are such a fun mom! I need to be more like that-

fauxy said...

Hooray a girl! And Learning Time? What a sweet, caring mother you are! I'm taking notes for when Ruby is old enough to care:)