Thursday, July 5, 2012

We Fish!

Leland and I have talked about fishing since we were married. We want to spend some quality time with our kids, learning a new skill--but mostly we want to be able to survive when the Chinese take over and we end up living in the mountains or the shore of Lake Mead. That was almost seven years ago. A couple of weekends ago, we finally went.
Knowing nothing about it, we decided to attend a seminar held at a game and fishing store in our area. We watched a seasoned fisherman demonstrate different fishing strategies. What I learned was this: put some bait on a hook and chuck it in the water. I'll be lucky if I catch a fish. So, we bought some rods that had that nifty automatic release button, a tackle box, and some bait and headed over to Poppi and Mimi's pool to practice casting.

The next week, we went to Floyd Lamb state park to try our luck at fishing. It was pretty windy and cold if you can believe that for a day in the month of May in Las Vegas. We didn't catch anything because the wind kept blowing our hooks back to shore. We couldn't grill the food we'd brought either because the grill wouldn't light. At least there were plenty of ducks to feed! The kids got a kick out of that and we ended up enjoying ourselves anyway. Maybe instead of calling this blog "We Fish," I should call it "We Own Fishing Gear"

2 comments:

Em and Ms said...

We should go fishing together! We have fishing stuff too, although Matt and I both grew up going fishing. Our kids are mad that we haven't really used the fishing poles they got a couple years ago.

Nancy said...

You are too funny. How about a week at Lake Arrowhead next summer--fishing every day.