Friday, August 8, 2008

Don't Eat Pete


If you don't know what "Don't Eat Pete" is, it's a game. If you do know what it is, it is still a game. Here are the rules:
  1. A grid will be formed. This grid can be formed on any surface with any number of spaces--according to the desires of the players. If players can not reach consensus, the grid will be 5x5.
  2. Edible morsels of food will be selected. Candy is easy but any food items can be selected. This, again, is according the players' desires. If players cannot reach an accord, tropical skittles will be used.
  3. The edible morsels will be placed on the grid with one morsel per space.
  4. A player will be selected to be the consumer of the morsels. The first consumer is determined by who likes tropical skittles the most (even if tropical skittles are not selected as the food item). It should be obvious who likes them the most.
  5. The consumer will then close his/her eyes or leave the room. The remaining players will select a morsel to represent Pete and allow the consumer to open his/her eyes or to reenter the room.
  6. The consumer will pick up morsels and eat them while trying to avoid picking up Pete. If the consumer picks up Pete, the players will yell "DON'T EAT PETE!" in the most loud and obnoxious voice possible. This ends the consumer's turn. In the past, Pete was placed back on the grid. Today, however, the consumer is typically invited to eat Pete as there has been growing concern about germs.
  7. Play will continue clockwise.
Now that you know the rules, feel free to try it!

7 comments:

Christian said...

That sounds remarkably similar to "Don't eat Delbert!" The only real difference is that Delbert isn't a tropical skittle, but rather a small scoop of ice cream. Hmmmmmm...

Leland K. Faux said...

A lot of people have asked, "What is the history of "Don't Eat Pete? Where did it come from? Who's Pete?"

This is a welcome questions. "Don't Eat Pete" stems from an old Scottish game. Originally it was played by Scottish families to teach their children to not eat "Peat." Peat being an accumulation of partially decayed vegetation common in many parts of Scotland. As the game grew in popularity and migrated from Scotland, people unfamiliar with "Peat" mistakenly assumed it was "Pete." This mistake has carried on even to the present day.

Regardless, peat or Pete is probably better left uneaten. The official Commission on Don't Eat Pete issued the following statement: "While it is true that the game originated as a method of teaching children not to eat peat, it is still a good lesson for them to not eat Pete. That would be cannibalism, and that's a bigger problem than eating partially decayed vegetation. So we are not concerned about the mistake."

Anyway, I hope that clears up that question for everyone.

Mrs. Ordinary said...

Lucy's laugh is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I found your blog so now I can check out how cute Lucy and Jack are all the time! I can't believe how much Jack looks like my favorite Uncle Kurt. You know Jack is going to be good looking if he looks like his grandpa! Wish we could of made it out to the wedding. I would say next time but hopefully the next time will be for Tasha or Hannah not Jordan. Check out our blog. Hope to hear from you!
Amber and Jonny

Natascha said...

Thanks for letting me use the computer to online shop. I've only been waiting about 3 lifetimes.

Shelise said...

Hey, I'm so glad you guys have a blog. I love keeping up with old friends. Your kids are so cute and your wife is beautiful. Oh and by the way, your apple was disgusting. lol.

Joanna said...

My family used to play that game growing up. I tried to explain it to Jake once, but I don't think I did a very good job explaining. I'll have to have him read your post.