
Last week Lucy, Jack, and I went to Babies R Us to get Lucy some new shoes. I had to pick up some things for a project I was working on and thought I might as well get her shoes there too. Lucy needed them BADLY (she preferred her crocs and the cold to her too-small tennis shoes) and I had been putting it off for weeks. It seems like she just got new shoes. Anyway, so we were at the store and I saw a row of pink shoes--which were all a little above my price range and some of them had Disney figures on them (which I am just not into)--and then I looked on the boy's side and saw some really nice gender-neutral navy canvas tennis shoes for 10 bucks and threw them in the cart. When we got home, I asked Lucy if she wanted to model her new shoes. She wouldn't go near them. "What's wrong?" I asked. "Those are Daddy shoes" she said. I don't know how she knew they were boys shoes but she did. Then it hit me. I had acted like those moms who make their girls wear boy clothes or vice versa and therefore embarrass them. I didn't even realize it. I have been embarrassed quite a few times this way by my own mom and always supposed it to be some sort of malicious punishment. Now I know what it feels like to be on the other end...just hoping to save a few bucks with some nice shoes (and yes I was thinking Jack could wear them when he grew into a size 7). Needless to say, Lucy picked out some pink shoes with bows on them. They actually were the cutest ones there, were on a rack I had overlooked, and ended up being a direct exchange. What luck! I learned my lesson: Don't ever try to save money by buying "gender neutral" apparel. It will SCAR your children.
8 comments:
Ha ha ha! That is SO funny! How could she possibly know?
But on the plus side, maybe when Jack is a size 7 he can wear those shoes anyway.
Christian does the same thing! For years, even when we only had two girls, any time he went to pick something out for the girls, he'd go to the boys' section (sandals, jeans, etc...thankfully, not shirts) so that we could pass them on...to the boys we didn't have at the time. Most of those things he bought haven't worked for our boys, anyway (wrong season, etc..). It must be a family thing!
What a lesson to learn. I had always thought it was a punishment too!
Too funny. Love those cute little pink shoes she picked out.
Yes. Mimi will buy Lulu some girly shoes FOH SHO'
That's awesome! Lucy is one cute little girl! Are you guys getting excited for this summer yet?
that was great, i just didn't realize that this was going on. wow, how we learn from our childre
That is way funny and probably a lot of Moms have done that before! Lucy is such a cute little girl. How are you guys by the way? It's been forever since we've seen you or talked...when are we going to get together and catch up?! Hope all is well! :)
Post a Comment