Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Trick of the Trade


I don't know how other moms feel, but by the time bedtime comes around, I am ready for some quiet, restful Me time. Bedtime used to be quite the fiasco until I had a little inspiration: give immediate rewards and turn as many routine things into games as possible. So, now everything is pretty organized: 1st, the kids take baths, then they brush their teeth and get their vitamins, then I read to them, then whoever can kneel down reverently at prayer time gets to rock with me to two of their favorite songs afterward, then we play follow the leader on a crazy path to bed (where Lucy usually takes a detour to use the potty). It's such an improvement and Lucy and Jack are happy to play and show me that they can follow directions. I give them all of my attention during this time and it has helped not only bond us, but also satisfy Lucy and Jack for the night. I am just glad to finally have a bedtime routine that works.

8 comments:

Annette said...

You are amazing, Catherine...such a good mom! Enjoy your quiet "me" time...rejuvenation helps to keep up the great mom routine:)!

Ro Ro Riot said...

So smart!

CFaux said...

I have no doubt that this and so many other effective inspirations that you've received are from the Spirit himself. I know because God continues to bless our little family through challenges and plenty. I am a grateful mother for having you be Leland's wife and my grandchildren's mother. You, my dear, are a stripling warrior mom.

Annelise said...

I have been having problems with this area lately. I am going to do this too!

DeAnn said...

Cute ideas! I love early bed time.

Shelise said...

We're having a bit of a hard time getting out kids to sleep now because we've recently switched to them both being in the same room. I may have to try some of your ideas. I think the problem is that the baby is still quite young and thinks going to bed is a game. Hudson would probably love it.

That was quite a compliment from your mother-in-law.

Robyn said...

Bedtime is my favorite time of day (Or,I should say, immediately after bedtime)
So cute!

Betsy Lee said...

Inspired! I hate bedtime lately and I actually JUST found this same advice online yesterday and am starting to implement it... again. I used to have a good routine down, but once they don't need a routine to get to bed I stop doing it and that's why bedtime is hard for me again. I just need to get back into a good routine.