Saturday, March 20, 2010

I ran the Canyonlands Half Marathon in Moab Today


It was SO hard! Though I trained for the race for five months, I thought it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I ran well/pretty fast for about eight miles. I felt good. I felt happy. I felt confident. Then, my knee started hating me. I had a hard time keeping up with my friend Erin and walked/hobbled for the last five miles. I picked a really slow-looking old guy as my rabbit. When he stopped, I stopped. When he hobbled, I hobbled. And then he got away. I picked a new girl (who was walking the whole time). I don't know how she got away. But she did. That will always be one of life's great mysteries to me. SHE WAS WALKING! I actually got sort of bored because I had to take it slowly (because of my knee and the rest of my body).
But, I finished and I wasn't even the last one. Leland was waiting for me at the finish line and I almost cried because I was so excited to see him...and to be done.


Preparing to board the bus to the starting line


These ladies were my friends until they ditched me


This is me running at the end of the race. It is also when I saw Leland. That is why I am smiling and waving.


All of the bags people were allowed to drop off with their sweatsuits



This was the happiest moment of my life.


While I ran, Leland picked up some cool Silly-Straw Glasses for the kids. Leland's sister Tascha babysat Lucy and Jack at home for a day and a half. She is so awesome.



7 comments:

DeAnn said...

What was your time? Would you do it again? Great job Catherine--what an accomplishment. I want to do a 10k before I tackle a 1/2 marathon. Someday...

fauxy said...

That really is an amazing accomplishment! Running is a lot harder than people think. I thought I wanted to try for a 1/2 marathon once. Then I ran a 5k and decided that I feel good about myself when I finish a 5k, and that's sufficient for me:). I really admire those who go for it!!

Robyn said...

You're amazing. Yeah, just pretty much amazing. Can I be you for a day?

Nancy said...

Wow! They can never take that away! You can tell that story for the rest of your life.

Jensen Family said...

It is my life's goal to run a half marathon... I would love to do it. Every morning when my alarm clock goes off to tell me to go running I decided that I like sleep a whole lot more than my life's goal list - but at night I feel like a loser - then repeat the next day!

Hannah Faux said...

That's so cool... congrats Catherine!

Adam Green said...

You are amazing!! I start thinking about 1/4 mile into any run, "What was I thinking?"