Wednesday, March 10, 2010
A Poll for other moms
I love my kids. I think they are so fun and creative. I like introducing them to new toys and games (like Barbies, cars etc), but I often get bored when I play their games. Lucy and I (Jack is happy to drive his cars all over us) just got done playing a game of Barbies we started around 9:00. It is 11:30. We got some new barbies from DI (we were there looking for a shelf unit I could turn into a barbie house and saw the kelly barbies. Lucy wanted them so we got some) and they didn't have clothes. I was excited to make them some clothes and did that right away. I have drawn out plans for the ultimate Barbie house that I want to make too! But, as for the actual playing part, I don't really care for it. So, my question is this: At what point do you stop playing with your kids, and is that okay(I feel like I am not getting to know them if I am not playing with them), and what else do you do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Apparently I don't play trains and cars right. My trains like to discuss things and make plans, but according to Carter that's wrong. So he usually asks me to stop.
Usually when they're playing I just keep engaged in conversation with them. I ask them about what is going on and ask a lot of why's. It makes me feel like I'm still involved in the play and lets them know I'm interested in what they're doing.
Ahem. From watching your blog, I thought you had an amazing talent to play with your kids...a talent I lack. Hannah actually doesn't play well with toys because I rarely got down on my hands and knees to play with her. The other kids are amazingly able to play by themselves or with anything they like. While I think I ought to play more directly with them, I tend to have more of an "overseer" role--I help set up the train tracks, disperse crayons and paper, and when they're completely bored, I supervise clean-up so they can have the fun of pulling everything out all over again. But I think we all wish I got down and played with them more often.
Yeah, I've always admired how you play with your kids. But you don't need to feel guilty when you don't. Strike a balance between time spent on the floor with them and time that they need to play so you can get things done. It is good for kids to learn to play alone (or with siblings or other kids). But yeah, I was a little relieved to learn that you get bored. :) See you soon!!!
I am SO glad to hear that it isn't just me that get bored of playing with my kids. I thought much like everyone else that you had some super power that made you able to play with your kids so much. I get bored too!! I think that kids do need to be played with, but I think they need to learn to play by themselves too. I will usually play whatever they want for a while and then tell them that I need to go do something and I will be back to play. It has worked for me so far with my 5 year old.
Well, the way I see it is that there was a reason we gave up those toys in the first place, right? They WERE boring. So it just might be possible that the cutest children in the world won't change that for you. Staying involved does matter. Like for instance-- Jack ends up maiming and/or killing Lucy's favorite barbie. Make sure he ends up paying for it for the rest of his life. You know... stuff like that.
Hi - so I don't know if you'll actually read this because it's so far behind but I thought I'd share anyway. I remember something your mom told me when I had the same problem. It's just as important for your children to see you work (Mommy needs to do her work now - whether that is dishes or all the AMAZING projects you make) as it is to play with them. Like everyone else has said, you are AMAZING at what you do with them already. Besides, a child who can entertain themselves will be a much happier camper in life. It's really a crutch to always be dependent on someone else for enjoyment. I sometimes set a timer in 15/45 minute intervals. 15 minutes for playing and 45 for working. The timer is all powerful in their minds - it can really help. Sorry this is long - Jennie
Post a Comment