Sunday, April 18, 2010

A very distressed sleep


Last night I finished reading Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser. I picked it up at the bookstore with a free gift card Leland got from school. I decided to read it because I had never read anything by Theodore Dreiser before and I love classic literature.
I cried so hard during and especially after reading this book. At the end, I cared more for Hurstwood than I cared for Carrie and I thought she was naive and treated him badly. Sure he didn't deserve her devotion, but as his pretend wife, she should have loved him anyway. I know Dreiser was trying to prove a few points, but I wanted to enjoy Carrie's story. I hope I am not ruining the book for anyone, but I wish it would have ended in one of two ways:
way #1
Hurstwood loses his job and finds procuring another job difficult (that's already in there) and so Carrie says to him, "Don't worry, we can work this out together" (that is not in there). So instead of her leaving him a beggar, she shares with him her stage success. She pays the rent and groceries for a while, patiently. Then, when Carrie starts making $150.00/ week, they save it and Hurstwood eventually starts his own resort/saloon. Together, they become successful and happy. If they would have sacrificed for each other, they would have learned to love each other again. Instead, their selfishness bred contempt.
way #2
After becoming a successful actress and seeing Hurstwood as a beggar on the streets of New York, Carrie gives him twenty dollars saying, "Go get something to eat, buy a suit, get a shower and a shave and come and see me at this address." He does this and they reunite. With Carrie's trust and love, Hurstwood gets his self-esteem back, opens a store, and they both live happily ever after.

Unfortunately, it ends sadly and I now see all beggars in a different light. What if that person whom I deny is holding his last dollar and then he is going to go hungry, give up, and die?

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Sounds like a book I just have to go and read right away...?