One of my pet peeves is when other people's kids try to talk or play with me at the playground. If I know the kid or parent, I don't mind. But, if it is some random kid, I do mind. It seems like Jack and I run into so many kids at the playgrounds we visit for Mommy and Jack time that say, "watch me!" etc. I hate it for three reasons: 1) It is my time to focus completely on Jack and no one else, 2) I am a stranger, and 3) The other kids are generally not interesting to me at all. Today Jack and I were playing a nice game of house at the playground when a three-year-old boy arrived with his mom and little brother. I was praising Jack (I love the way his face lights up when I praise him for climbing high or jumping far) and having a grand old time enjoying his company. This little boy starts trying to do the same things that Jack was doing and wanting me to watch him do them. At first I said it was nice, then I ignored him. You might be thinking I am a brat, but the kid was trying to put Jack down and tell him the right way to do things. He wouldn't stop following us around. Jack and I even ran a ways off to a investigate a giant pine tree and the boy followed us.
After a while of us not paying any attention to him, he started throwing sand at me and trying to push me down and saying he was going to kill me with a stick! His mom was just standing there! We left to find another playground. What a nightmare of a kid!
I told Leland and he said I should have given him some extremely sour/yucky candy that we have.


7 comments:
i am so glad i am not the only one that gets annoyed at that! what a rotten little boy saying he was going to kill you with a stick. you are not a brat at all, i think we should be focused on our own children when we are out spending time with them!
Yeeeahhh... I'm the same way. :P I don't even like it when nice kids want my attention at the park! I'm just there for my kids, not to watch other kids as well. It is a big pet peeve of mine when parent's aren't even watching their kids too!
We should hang out. At the park. And join forces of not paying attention to other kids. ;)
I thought this post was awesome! Other people's kids--aside from the ones I'm related to or belong to close friends--really annoy me. I'm babysitting a neighbor girl this year, and I'm trying really hard to change, but the way I feel towards other kids is a good motivator to steer clear of day care. Although I fully realize not everyone is like me. Thank goodness.
OMGosh! I thought I was the only one who felt like this! This was my big secret. I honestly can't relate to other kids who are not mine. Wooohooo! That kid needed his mom OBVIOUSLY to pay attention to him. Here's what I do: I have a scary look that I give other kids so they don't even want to approach me. Practice the scary look in the mirror.
See you guys on Fri. I am hoping I will feel better enough to travel. I think I will!
Phew--it's not just me. And from the comments, it's not just the 2 of us either. Jonathan will be in Provo next week--Wednesday-Friday. Quick trip but I told him to call you.
Haha--Mimi is funny! I love paying attention to other peoples children. I wish I could spend all day everyday doing just that!!!! Just kidding. I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater and take a shower in lemon juice.
I think I will go practice my "scary" face in the mirror now.
No you are not a brat! Actually you are much nicer than me as I would have started throwing sand back at him when he started throwing it at me! I do hate it though when people don't discipline their kids!
Post a Comment